You want to work in the UK, you’ll need one of these!


You want to work in the UK and you want to know what conditions you need to fulfill for it then you need to read this article carefully. We’ll also recommend Harlands to help you find a place of residence! The most important document you are going to need is your UK National Insurance Number. If you are an American citizen then it will be easier to understand its purpose, especially if we tell you that this number is similar to US social security number. There are different ways to acquire it depending on some circumstances.

UK residents

Every UK resident has a right to this number. Before they turn 16 they receive it and they will have the same number for the rest of their life. No matter what changes you make in your life this number will always be the same. You can even change your name but you are not allowed to change this number. It will always remain the same, even if you lose your card you can ask the National Insurance helpline to send you another one. The only thing you need to do is to fill out the CA5403 form on the government website, answer some security questions and they will send you a written confirmation of it to your e-mail address.  The number of National Insurance Helpline is 0300 200 3502.

Non – UK– residents

European Citizens

First thing you need to do is to make an appointment by calling the local job Centre Plus. You need to be aware that they are going to ask some questions such as your employment status and so on.  They are available from 8Am to 6PM every day except on week-ends. Before your interview you need to prepare some documentation such as residence permit, passport, work contract and so on. You can find the full list on their website with all necessary explanations. During the interview you can again expect to be questioned about your intentions and reasons for this type of application. If you passed all this, you will need to fill out some forms again and within three weeks you will receive your NI number.

Non – European Citizens

For the countries that are not a part of European Union the things are a little bit different. Actually the process itself is the same, the only requirement additional to the regular process is the right to study or work in UK.  Some countries such as Canada or USA hold a bilateral agreement on social security. If you come from one of these countries, you will need your NI Number and you have a right to it. A full list of all countries you will find on the website likewise the list of all necessary documentation needed to apply.

Anyway the National Insurance Number is something you definitely are going to need if you intend to work in UK, and it will protect your rights and the rights of the government at the same time. It will be like a record of your work and contributions during your career.


Spread the love